Sunday, November 25, 2007

This Saturday I had the interesting experience of spending the day with my Korean co-teacher Yun and her husband Alex. She is really sweet and we had a lot of fun and made lots of future plans for other outtings. She told me, "ok Karen, I'm making myself your official Korean tour guide while you're here. I know some secrets and I want to share them with you! I'm really excited for this.
So we did some island exploring this weekend. We first visited Alex's aunt and uncle and had lunch. Then we headed to a smaller island by fairy where we hiked and explored a Buddhist temple and rock carving. We also had tea at a tea house. When I offered to pay they accepted, but the restaurant didn't take cards. I had 10,000 won and Alex only had 4,000. We were short 2,000won (about $2). The waitresses were kind enough to let us go, but made us promise we would visit again! :)
After our ferry ride back we drove to another island for dinner. Yun and Alex wanted to take me to one of their favourite seafood restaurants - I was a little petrified of this idea as I'm not a big seafood person, but I decided to try to be adventurous. Well, I really surprised even myself - we had shrimp (which I already knew I liked) and sea shells! Like the ones I would collect on a beach, but you Bbq them on your table and open them up with tongs and eat the thing inside after you dip it in a pepper paste. Yumm! hahaha. I kinda liked it! When we left we walked a little along the beach outside (it was 9:00pm) and tons of people were out lighting fircrackers and small fireworks. It was so cool. Yun said many boyfriends propose to their fiances this way - lighting fireworks/sparklers and proposing on the beach. We didn't see any proposals last night though.
All in all, it was a busy but great day! I'm looking forward to more fun with Yun and Alex.
Yun and I on top of the mountain after our long hike.
Alex and I before we headed up the mountain!
A buddhist temple that they carved out of the side of the mountain rock.
K, this picture is not clear, for some reason my camera took a tile picture...but if you look closely this is the bbq of sea shells and oysters I ate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen. Wow that looked like an awesome place! How nice that your teacher wants to be a tour guide for you. Hope together you see many more interesting places.How brave of you to eat the fish & sea shells!!! The shells sure looked weird. Have a great week!!
Love you!!!Mom & Dad